Here are some simple tips to create positive Public Relations for your senior living community by supporting your local Alzheimer’s Walk.
First, Freedom Village in Lake Forest, California brainstormed on how to raise money for the Alzheimer’s OC Walk by involving residents and staff.
Second, Freedom Village had two fundraisers:
- A staff talent show for the residents. The Human Resources Director organized the the talent show and the Activity Director invited the residents. The admission ticket was any donation to Alzheimer’s. Both the dress rehearsal at the all staff meeting and the main show for the residents were full houses.
- The Sunshine Group at Freedom Village had been making adult coloring placemats for skilled nursing resident’s food trays. Select drawings were shrunk down, shellacked onto tiles and sold in four packs with stickers notating the resident artist.
Third, residents, staff and a Girl Scout troop proudly arrived at the walk wearing “Freedom to Thrive” T-shirts.
PR results of Freedom Village participating in the Alzheimer’s OC Walk in Laguna Niguel:
- Raising $4,620 and becoming the top fundraising team.
- Winning the Spirit Award!
- Being featured on the front page of two local newspapers: Aliso Viejo and Laguna Niguel.
- The Community Relations Director was interviewed on local TV discussing the walk.
This is a simple recipe for PR success, but it took a lot of teamwork. This project was overseen by a very creative community relations director, Stephanie Riggs.
What are your ideas?
More free tips about marketing senior living are available through the marketing 2 seniors blog. Diane Masson has authored two books about senior living: Senior Housing Marketing – How to Increase Your Occupancy and Stay Full for professionals and Your Senior Housing Options for seniors who want to plan ahead and family members scrambling in crisis mode.